purpleshoe (still!) runs

Since you heard from me last, I’ve PR’d in the marathon, flown 38,658 miles (thanks delta for keeping track!), been to the highlands of Papua New Guinea (the middle of actual nowhere), and snagged a little promotion. Life has been really unbelievably good.

After our Hong Kong travels, my next escape was to Canberra, Australia, to run in the Australian Running Festival Marathon there in April. I went solo (Mr. Engineer can’t always snag the days off that I can…his job is more demanding) and I only told Jeri and Megan what I was up to. I figured keeping my beak shut would keep the nerves at bay – and it did! I ran my little heart out (a little too hard on those hills in the first 19!) and just didn’t quite have what I hoped I would in the last 5-6 miles. I finished in 4:08:12 tired, happy, and ready to do it again. I’ll get sub-4 one of these days.

Image

a little hand-scribbled mantra courtesy of Jeri.

Image

post-race hair beaver.

In May I was lucky enough to head back to the US to meet Mr. Engineer in Houston (he was there for business…my boss was kind enough to let me work from there to get a little face time with my favorite country) and run a couple (half) marathons. I’d intended to run two full marathons while I was back (Brookings and Green Bay) but ended up not sleeping for the four days prior to Brookings (jet lag+sick=suck) and Green Bay was unseasonably warm and ended up being called off. I ran two PW half marathons at 2:08 and 2:10, respectively. But I ran outside! With friends! Funny how race times don’t matter so much these days.

Image

damn I love these two.

after surviving the blast furnace that was Green Bay with Jeri and Ms. Angryrunner

I peaked at 64ish mpw training for this eventual train wreck, and after it happened I was so very OVER running. I took nearly two months off, which coincided perfectly with a surprise move to a new (so much nicer!) apartment here in PNG, a long-anticipated 4th of July trip back to the US, and a brush with Insanity, which is SO much harder than running a marathon. Holy crap.

did I mention I ran off to Vegas to celebrate Janelle’s (college roomie!) bachelorette party while I was back? amazing weekend.

more shenanigans.

More 4th of July trip goodness:

Megan!

Sisters!

Jeri!

Also of note: surpassing the one-year mark here with far fewer tears than I’d have guessed would be necessary, looking excitedly towards the future, and making some things a little more official.

No date, no plans. Just happy : )

I just ran my first double-digit week in months and I’m sore and humbled – but I found myself back on the treadmill because I just love it. I love the feeling of putting one foot in front of the other. I have no race plans and no idea what’s next, but it’s nice to know that underneath all the posturing and goals, I really do just love to run. That’s enough for now.

12 Responses to “purpleshoe (still!) runs”

1. 1 Heather @ Dietitian on the Run July 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

One year down, and a Ton of experiences to show for it! Not many of us just fly up to Hong Kong in a few hours ;)

Congrats, Ms. Marathoner AND bride-to-be!! Have to admit, I was curious about the latter…. ;) xo

• 2 Ahmed January 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Kirsten, This website is ibniedrcle. I had no idea about your story, truly amazing and inspirational. I’m so glad that you have found something that is so special and helpful in your life. I can’t begin to explain what a gift running has been for me over the years. Best of luck in your upcoming endeavors, I think you are amazing! Happy trails!!Myra

• 3 Nadine November 12, 2013 at 11:39 am

Sojourner – Uhuru was remarkable in a nubemr of ways. She demonstrated that Star Trek was well ahead of its time in terms of bringing diversity to a television show. I think somewhere I read that she was involved in the first inter-racial kiss on network television…Tariq – I loved Sisko … especially when he went back to the shaved head! However, his son always seemed a bit off to me. I haven’t seen much of the son in the movies or television since that series. For awhile, I was collecting the Fereghi Rules … do you remember any of them?

2. 4 Katie July 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

!!!!!!

I’m just happy that you are happy, no matter what twisty and weird places life is taking you. It’s good. Good.

3. 5 Mikael January 26, 2013 at 12:41 am

I’m so proud of you Kirsten. I didn’t even realize you’d gone thourgh all of that. God is so great (I’m starting to see that more and more each week). Keep it up! You inspire me. Sylvia:o)

• 6 Rustom November 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm

The Connoisseur – Wrath of Khan was one of the better ST moveis. However, the two I enjoyed the most involved the Borg Queen … and the one where Picard and his crew went back in time to the invention of space travel. They may have been the same movie for all I remember at this point (smile). I do recall that this ST movie had a famous Black actress in it … she ended up being friends with Picard…

4. 7 Grant June 20, 2013 at 12:48 am

Hey are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to
    get started and create my own. Do you require any
    html coding knowledge to make your own blog? Any help would
    be really appreciated!

5. 8 team building company August 27, 2013 at 4:25 am

I have read so many content on the topic of the blogger lovers however this post is truly a
    nice piece of writing, keep it up.

6. 9 http://slaff.info/ October 17, 2013 at 4:42 am

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your
    content. Please let me know. Cheers

• 10 Sulaiman November 12, 2013 at 9:24 am

Cindy Mayberry – Jeremy, Your friendly pariessionolfsm, patience and timing made for exceptional pictures. Looking at the work you had done in the past convinced us we needed to have you as the photographer. The pictures of Leticia’s and Darren’s wedding were beautiful, poignant, and varied. Thank you so much for all your work.

7. 11 Twitter October 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I blog quite often and I truly appreciate your content.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to
    book mark your site and keep checking for
    new information about once per week. I opted in for your
    Feed as well.

8. 12 healthy September 21, 2014 at 2:53 am

Howdy! This blog postt could not be written any better!
    Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept preaching about this. I amm going to forward this information to
    him. Pretty sure he’s going to have a very good read.
    Thank you for sharing!