Week 2

Thursday: 11 at 9:30 pace

Friday: 5 recovery

Saturday: 18 at 9:31 pace

Total: 62 miles

New high mileage week!

And, the feelings:

This week was BORING. Nothing but mile after mile after mile staring at the same spot on the wall. I made this week’s workouts all about mental games…one day I even made it 12.5 miles before needing to turn on my iPod (new PR!) I won’t deny that I woke up the morning of that mid-week 14 and wondered if I hadn’t bitten off a little too much with the 70 plan – but it went alright. I’m finding that 97% of my struggles so far are mental.

And the other 3% – last week’s hip tightness was nowhere to be found until I stepped off the treadmill after Saturday’s 18 and could barely walk. My right hip flexor had practically seized up…uh what? I swear I’m not so tough that I just didn’t notice it – it really didn’t feel weird while I was running. I stretched and stretched (not a habit I’ve ever had, ever) and gave it the ol’ frozen bag of peas treatment multiple times this weekend. The weird lack of range of motion (that’s a mouthful) actually disappeared after an hour, but I still played it safe Sunday and didn’t bother with any cross training (unless never changing out of your pj’s somehow qualifies as an athletic feat.)

I’m trying to be cautious about the hip thing, but I also expected some aches and creaks from taking my mileage here, so I’m not too worried yet. I’m not afraid to veer off the plan in the name of avoiding injury either, so there’s that. I’m also (hopefully not naively) comforted by the fact that there’s no pain even when my hip is being an ass; it’s just tight. (These are different things, yes?)

Today I woke up absolutely dreading today’s tempo run – partially because I was nervous my hip might seize up (it never did) and partially because what if I couldn’t go fast? I think a piece of the mental puzzle to tackling a plan like this is that if you stick to it, it’s terrifying to think it might not pay off. What if I just ran two of the best weeks of training I’ve ever put together and today my legs have nothing to show for it? Mercifully Mr. Pftiz knows his stuff, and today’s tempo was longer and faster than the last. I’m looking forward to stepping on the treadmill and knowing I can do that as this cycle progresses. Timidly hitting the ‘up’ button on the speed hoping I’m not being an idiot? Well that’s just less fun than confidence.

Also possibly of note: I’m solidly 5 pounds heavier than my body’s ‘natural’ weight. (You know what I mean, right? The number the scale just says whether you’re really trying or not?) Well after eating New Zealand over the holidays (no really, all of it) I was about 5 pounds heavier than the norm when we landed back here, and I assumed it would come off on its own. Only it hasn’t…after running 129 miles in the last 14 days. Whether this is my body finally starting to betray me (I do turn 27 next month, hah) or I’ve just become a terrible judge of how many calories I’m consuming, I’m not sure. But my running has been better than it has in…3 years? So I’m finding it hard to be toooo annoyed about it. But still…something worth noting.

Other notes for posterity: 1 gu chomp every 15 minutes on long runs is the best thing I’ve found for my stomach yet. Must find a way to smuggle more into PNG…

About these ads

20 Responses to “Week 2”

1. 1 advocare 24 day challenge August 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

Even while health professionals are very important , at times it’s merely better to read legitimate buyers , consumers such as you , who have launched their unique dieting quest – and are still considering it.

2. 2 Patrick Gallagher August 20, 2013 at 12:13 am

Consumer choices nowadays command the entertainment market place in a way which wasinconceivable prior to the word wide web and the virus-like distribution of headlines, and alsoentire entertainment content. When you add to that distribution world wide web, headlines, online sites, from chat to entire movies. It is just a brand new world. A lot of it great, some not.

• 3 Narendra November 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Thanks for your submission. I would like to oiipnon that the very first thing you will need to conduct is find out if you really need credit repair. To do that you need to get your hands on a replica of your credit rating. That should never be difficult, ever since the government mandates that you are allowed to acquire one absolutely free copy of your own credit report each year. You just have to inquire the right people today. You can either browse the website with the Federal Trade Commission or contact one of the main credit agencies specifically.

3. 5 Thiago November 12, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for enabling me to atiatn new strategies about computer systems. I also have belief that certain of the best ways to maintain your laptop computer in leading condition is with a hard plastic-type case, or shell, that will fit over the top of the computer. These kind of protective gear are usually model unique since they are made to fit perfectly across the natural casing. You can buy all of them directly from the owner, or via third party places if they are designed for your notebook computer, however not every laptop will have a shell on the market. Yet again, thanks for your recommendations.

4. 6 Prince November 16, 2013 at 1:18 am

I have mastered some new to the job suasnbtce from your web site about individual computers. A different thing I have forever assumed is that computer systems have grow to be a product that all residence must have representing a lot of reasons. They supply you with convenient customs in which to organize the home, fee bills, chance shopping, study, refrain in to music and in many cases inspect tube series. An innovative technique to thorough mainly of these tasks is a computer. These desktops are portable ones, small, robust and convenient.

5. 7 Eddy Baldwin November 19, 2013 at 7:59 am

Where did the first transcontinental railroad originate and end? How long was the railroad? The 1,776 mile long first transcontinental railroad, originally called the “Pacific Railroad” and later the “Overland Route,” (690 miles built by the Central Pacific Railroad and 1,086 miles built by the Union Pacific Railroad) that started construction in 1863 and was completed with the joining of the rails at Promontory Summit, Utah on May 10, 1869 went from Omaha, Nebraska (UPRR) to Sacramento, California (CPRR) , thereby connecting with other railroads from the east (for example, from Boston and New York via Chicago, Illinois or St. Louis, Missouri ) to span the continent by rail from the east coast to the west coast for the first time. (Also see more about rail travel routes from NY to Chicago , and from Chicago to Omaha .) After the junction of the UPRR with the CPRR was changed to Ogden , Utah, 52 1/2 miles east of Promontory Summit, the CPRR was 742 miles long, extending from Sacramento to Ogden, and the UPRR was 1,032 miles long, extending from Ogden to Omaha. Soon thereafter, the route was extended from Council Bluffs, Iowa (on the eastern shore, just across the Missouri River from Omaha, Nebraska) to San Francisco, California, as the Western Pacific Railroad west from Sacramento ( merging with the CPRR of California on June 22, 1870 or in August, 1870 ) became part of the Central Pacific along with ferry service carrying whole trains on the world’s largest ferries replaced the boat trip from Sacramento on Sacramento River Steamboats .

6. 8 jjqepbuzupg@gmail.com November 27, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I wear moncler outlet http://ess-nettoyage.com/images/veste/moncler.asp/ just about daily dwelling ,I obtained them and acquire a lot of compliments.I saw them whilst browsing retail outlet but could uncover them there so fairly delighted I discovered them on your own internet site.

7. 9 kettlebell March 12, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I almost never write comments, however after browsing through a ton of responses on this page Week 2 |
    purpleshoe runs. I actually do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Could it be only me or do a few of the comments appear like they are left by brain dead
    visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other places, I’d like to keep
    up with you. Would you make a list of the complete urls of your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook
    page or linkedin profile?

8. 10 Chong March 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm

They can help individuals obtain the “best” qualities in their individual capabilities – by
    presenting them to financial institutions, finance homes, residence tax professionals, and required organizations.

The time taken is dependent on how much movement of
    the teeth is required. ‘Her royal highness the Duchess
    of Cambridge has been admitted to St.

9. 11 Lorenza April 15, 2014 at 8:00 am

In fact no matter if someone doesn’t know after that its up to other visitors
    that they will help, so here it takes place.

10. 12 Pirater Facebook Gratuitement April 19, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Terrific post but I was wondering if you could write a
    litte more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Thank you!

11. 13 download for no good reason April 23, 2014 at 4:41 am

Very quickly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building people,
    due to it’s fastidious articles or reviews

12. 14 download locke April 23, 2014 at 4:50 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right
    here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a
    lot often inside case you shield this increase.

13. 15 Triche Clash of Clans April 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Excellent web site you have here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours these days.
    I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

14. 16 clash of clans pirater May 5, 2014 at 7:19 am

A considerable number of Attack on Titan fans will
    have to wait for an undetermined amount of time because there is not any
    word in regards to a Western release as of yet. Exogamy, the
    prohibition of marriage within certain groups of decent is
    normally practiced with regard to clans and other social units.
    Starting out in the multiplayer I had little recourse but to die and die and die until I not only got the
    hang of things but also till I got some better weapons.

15. 17 a4サイズ対応フラップショルダー July 1, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Hi, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post. It was practical.
    Keep on posting!

16. 18 tjrrpshqoqw@gmail.com August 20, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hiya! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. Cheers!

17. 19 asxubknvyjn@gmail.com August 29, 2014 at 9:08 am

Searching reddit.com I noticed your blog book-marked as: %BLOGTITLE%. Now I am assuming you book-marked it yourself and wanted to ask if social book-marking gets you a large amount of traffic? I’ve been considering doing some bookmarking for a few of my websites but wasn’t sure if it would yield any positive results. Thank you very much.

18. 20 Liked themed Pirate September 30, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site.

It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between usability and visual appearance.
    I must say you’ve done a amazing job with this.
    In addition, the blog loads vewry quick for me on Firefox.
    Exceptional Blog!