Weeks 3-6

Weeks 3, 4, and 5 (I really suck at updating this, huh?)

Monday: 9 with 5 at tempo (8:11 average for tempo miles)
Tuesday: 14 miles (9:28 pace)
Wednesday: 5 recovery
Thursday: 12 miles (9:24 pace)
Friday: 5 recovery
Saturday: 18 with 10 @ marathon pace (MP miles 8:44 pace) – probably a little ambitious on the MP miles here, but my HR said it was working and I felt like a million bucks, so I went with it.
63 miles

Recovery Week
Monday: 8 with strides (9:18 pace)
Tuesday: 12 miles (9:28 pace)
Wednesday: 5 recovery
Thursday: 10 (9:18 pace)
Friday: 5 recovery
Saturday: 15 (9:13 pace)
55 miles

(Adjusted schedule slightly to accommodate a weekend getaway)
Monday: 10 with 5 at tempo (7:55 average for tempo miles)
Tuesday: 14 miles (9:13 pace) / 5 recovery pm
Wednesday: 11 miles (9:21 pace)
Thursday: Rest (travel day)
Friday: 7 with strides (8:58 pace)
Saturday: 21.13 miles (9:16 pace)
68.13 miles (new weekly high!)

I just…I’m not sure I have any words. This is going so much better than I anticipated…physically, mentally…things are just clicking. I took a spill off a curb in really cute shoes (that I’m never wearing again…jk…but maybe) the night of that 21-miler and rolled my ankle. Luckily Mr. Engineer took excellent care of me and got a hold of a brace, topical anti-inflammatory, and all the ice I needed. We were on a weekend away in the Gold Coast and I ended up having to skip our surfing lesson the following day because it still hurt, but I cautiously laced my shoes up Tuesday since Monday was pain-free. Major crisis averted.
Week 6

Monday: planned 10 recovery/took rest day for the ankle
Tuesday: planned 14/ did 6 very very slow recovery miles
Wednesday: gave myself the green light and ran Tuesday’s 14 a little slow (according to HR). KILLER side stitch here. Must work on hydrating! (9:22 pace)
Thursday: 5 recovery
Friday: 11 with 6 at tempo (7:55 average for tempo miles)
Saturday: 20 (9:24 pace)
Sunday: very brief thoughts about making up some of those miles I missed. Then realized I probably needed a rest day more than a 66-mile week. Bagged it at 2.
58 miles

Saturday’s run was the hardest I’ve had yet this cycle. My legs felt like lead from the start so I took it a little slower than I have been. It was interesting to see my HR right in line (even a little low for a good portion) but to be struggling so very hard. I really pushed it in Friday’s tempo (last mile was 7:35…umm let’s work on even pacing a little more, maybe?) and I felt it every single one of those 20 miles. Another side stitch jabbed me hard from 15-18 – so I’m making an honest effort to drink ALL THE WATER.
With the exception of my little scare from my inability to walk in cute shoes, I’m (knocks on wood) feeling really healthy. Even the weird hip tightness I was having in week 1 is nearly gone (but I’m still stretching! Kind of a big deal for me.) I’ve started incorporating little bits of strength work because I just cannot for the life of me commit to an actual lifting workout when I’m spending like 10 hours a week on the treadmill. So I’ve tried to hold myself to 10 minutes a day of abs/pushups/possibly picking up something heavy several times in a row (an idea stolen from Green Lightning Running). It’s not a heroic effort, but it’s something I can build on if I make it a habit, I think.
Other notes: GU Chomps are my new best friend. 1 every 15 minutes until I feel like I need a little more (usually ends up being at the 2:30ish mark) and then either 2 every 15 or taken more frequently depending on stomach. Might need to front-load a little more for actual race efforts? All long runs have been done in compression socks – will likely race this way. Saturday’s tired-legs 20 was the first run that’s made me sore all cycle. Not sure if the socks are part of that, but I’m willing to believe it.
My first 70-mile week is coming up soon, and while I realize it’s not that much farther than the 68 I ran a couple weeks ago, it’s still exciting to hit a new milestone with a nice round number.
Wearing flats till May, FYI. Happy running.
About these ads

19 Responses to “Weeks 3-6”

1. 1 Heather C February 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm

SEVENTY mile week?! Say whaa? Color me uber-impressed, lady. xo

• 2 Francesco November 12, 2013 at 7:00 am

To Whom it may concernMy husnbad and myself are both in fulltime ministry and are currently experiencing that God is leading us into a different kind of ministry especially to those with sexual brokenness. We read your book, and therefore are now connecting with you. We would like to partner with you in this much needed ministry as we are currently counseling with a few young Christian men who has openly shared about their addictions and feel that they can experience deliverance. Is there any way in which we can partner with you on this side of the world, leading our young men from brokenness to wholeness.Anticipating your responseANSWER FROM CHAD: what book of mine did you read?

2. 3 strawberry shortcake party invitations June 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

It is not my first time to go to see this website, i am visiting this website dailly and obtain
    nice facts from here all the time.

• 4 Jhonata November 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm

exw adynamia sta exheraia. me filoxenhse mia filh meta apo xwrismo, enas agaphmenos sta taxidia mou apo to ydatino nhsi sth xwra tou hliou. ta diasxizw ama katevainw me ta podia apo tis theies mou (gkyzh) sto kentro, kai auton ton augousto pou emeina athina timhsa pali ta kafe kai ta cinema. me ta roz gyalia ths metoikou, vlepw ligotero th mizeria tou xwrou, kai perissotero th zwntania(logiko na apeikonizei thn orgh tou ellhna entonotera apo alles perioxes),thn (sygkritika)elleipsh dithen, th zestasia kai th geitonistikh aisthisi. isws paraeimai romantikh. btw, o kabouras sta exheraia thymamai na exei 2 b?

3. 7 financial help July 9, 2013 at 4:53 pm

This is a great tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Short but very accurate information… Appreciate your sharing this
    one. A must read post!

4. 8 click link July 17, 2013 at 11:38 pm

You are in reality a excellent webmaster. The web site loading velocity is incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a wonderful task in this topic!

5. 10 takecharge capital July 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Hello our family fellow member! I would like to claim that this particular article rocks !, awesome published and include somewhere around all significant infos. I’d like to observe extra blogposts this way .

• 11 Alan November 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Ok, my husband is in the milriaty and was in Georgia at the time a few weeks after our son was born, which was in Texas. I’m not quit sure of that distance but from Texas to Gerogia, I drove my barely 6 week baby to go see him for the weekend. It was really tough seeing as he ate every 3-4 hours. I had to stop every now and then to feed, change and whatever necessities my son and I had. It did make the trip longer but it was nice. My advice really is to just stop every now and then because babies do get tired of sitting in that car seat all the time. It’s easier for you because one of you can feed while the other drives and hold off a little longer on the changing. Hope it helps!

6. 12 internet download managercrack August 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed
    in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

7. 13 Noor November 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm

It’s ok, just plan on making a lot of stops. You may want to rehtnik driving such a long distance if your baby is not one who normally falls asleep in a car seat. My husband and I drove 250 miles when my baby was that young and she screamed the whole time; we were absolutely miserable. But my daughter isn’t the typical baby, she cries on the way to the market also which is only one mile away; she doesn’t like to be confined to car seats. However, my sister’s baby goes to sleep as soon as they hit the road. If your baby is like that, then you’ll be fine. Maybe you should plan a mini trip first to test the baby out. Good luck!

8. 14 Rosario L. Lamb November 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm

…It’s one thing to acquire sanctity in groups who experience similar ordeals, but it’s another to revolutionize perpetual issues by side-stepping problems that nobody makes unified attempts to solve. Instead of slapping my hand simply because you took my response too seriously, why not be constructive and stop crying over it?

9. 15 gold bullion May 6, 2014 at 11:51 am

naturally like your web-site but you need to take a look at the spelling on
    several of yyour posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I
    find it very bothersome to tell the truth onn the other hand
    I will certainly come back again.

10. 16 a June 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I
    clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not
    writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted
    to say wonderful blog!

11. 17 massage gymea June 17, 2014 at 4:27 am

Hi there, this weekend is fastidious in favor of me,
    as this time i am reading this fantastic informative paragraph here at
    my home.

12. 18 orange savings June 19, 2014 at 1:43 am

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.
    Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it

13. 19 battle command hack July 23, 2014 at 7:39 am

When some one searches for his vital thing,
    so he/she wants to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.