Faith not Fear

So that half marathon I’ve been obsessing over?

It’s on Saturday. Like THIS Saturday.

(aiiieeeeeeeeeeee HOLD ME.)

So here’s what I’ve done to get these legs ready (most recently):

• 2 18-mile long runs. In the second, I hit 13.1 in 1:59:xx. Running easy, controlled. Remember that half marathon last fall where I puked all over a few select portions of Fargo? I ran that in pretty much the same time and thought death was imminent. This run? Felt pretty damn good.
  • This past week, I ran two days of 5 x 1  mile repeats, 48 hours apart. The target was 7:41. Splits from day one: 7:32, 7:37, 7:44, 7:42, 7:40. Day two: 7:39, 7:43, 7:42, 7:42, 7:37. Yeah, that felt good.
  • Two weeks at 50 miles–a new all-time high for me. Lots of tempo runs. Lots of miles headed into the wind. Lots of being out the door so early the sun still hadn’t made an appearance when I got home.

I’m ready. I know I am. I had a tempo run to take race pace for a test drive on Saturday and it didn’t go so great. I beat myself up over it pretty hard. And then I sat down and looked at my splits when I got home and saw that I had hit 6.2 well ahead of my current 10k PR. So there, self-doubt. Even on a shitty day, we’re making some things happen.

My original A goal for this race was 1:47:xx. The whole point behind this madness is to get a starting corral in the Chicago Marathon, for which a 1:49:59 will do. But I can do better. That’s why the new game plan is to get to the finish line before 1:45:59, move up a corral, and smash my PR by more than 10 minutes. I’ve looked at the splits on paper, and they don’t look like numbers I run. But I’m going to go after it.

I’ll have to remember not to start too fast. To not get discouraged if an 8:14 split comes across my watch. To not give up hope if it becomes apparent that maybe my finish will be just under 1:47, because damn if that isn’t still worth fighting for. To be calm. Relaxed. To be brave. To believe.

In a move of total thievery, the thing I’ll be screaming in my own head when the going gets tough comes from the lovely Ariana Hilborn (who’s going to kick some serious ass in Boston next Monday).

Faith not Fear.

It’ll be what I tell myself when I toe that starting line. It’ll be the thing blaring through my mind at mile 10 when I’m going to step it up, and see what I’ve got left. It’ll be thing resonating through my ears when the clock at the finish line comes within view and it doesn’t say 1:46 yet.

Faith not fear.

8 Responses to “Faith not Fear”

1. 1 amyreinink April 12, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Wow–with workouts like those under your belt, you have no reason to fear! I think part of achieving a goal that feels out of your reach is just believing you can do it, and it sounds like you’re already there!

• 2 Amin November 12, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi Dom,You have to ensure the code gets added to all your blog pages. The hedear.php file is dependent on the template you are using, some templates may go against the recommended pattern.Just make sure you add the code after the tag whichever file that may be included in.

2. 3 Wendy April 12, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Awesome. I can’t wait to read about the race. Love the big goals.

• 4 Takemi January 27, 2013 at 8:53 am

Katrina Posted on Having a Leslie is essential. In the past, I would refer to you as one of the nautral girls that I hang out with Now I say my friend Thanks for the laughs, motivation and cute tops.

3. 5 Anonymous April 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm

You are more than ready.you will do awesome!!!

• 6 Martinas January 27, 2013 at 6:53 am

Haha! That’s awesome! Isn’t it wodernful getting paid for taking pictures of Kristi doing the splits! (you just need to keep that in perspective, then the job doesn’t seem so bad!) Well, I’m glad I can visit you guys and always have a good story to listen to.Go APX…right?!

4. 7 Jeff April 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm

After all of the runs you have suffered through, uphill in knee deep snow, freezing cold, stupidly early mornings…you are ready. Don’t worry about what you think you can or cannot do, just go out there and take care of business. Forget about the self-induced pressure, relax, run your own race, then start picking off those runners ahead of you in the last couple of miles.

One word of advice…just in case. ginger

5. 8 Ivan November 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

Great pacing, Jessica! I tlltoay understand about pulling back, especially during taper week. Holding back (and the craziness of taper) will all be worth it in one short week.