Blur

Hola friends!

I’m writing this from the skies somewhere between Houston and LA (and posting in LA because I’m not on one of those super cool flights with wifi on board) and it’s about 8 pm (central time.) Since I’ve been neglecting the blogosphere lately (but for good reason! I promise!) let me catch you up.

On Monday (the 7th) the word came down that all the necessary work permit/visa blah-de-dah/medical clearances were APPROVED! That meant it was time to call the movers and schedule the date, get quotes for vehicle-selling, and uh, pack up EVERYTHNG. [Um, also, not to overshare, but within the same few hours we found out it was go-time, I found out I needed a biopsy. YEAH. All the results have since come back and I’m totally fine, but HOLY CRAP.]

So basically since last Monday I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

[ps, I realize I’ve carefully neglected all the specifics of exactly how/why/with whom I’m ending up a resident of one of the most random countries ever, but bear with me. I’ll explain it all in good time. I promise it’s one hell of a story.]

So! Since the last seven days have been such a blur that I’m still processing them, I present you with a super-fancy list of what I’ve been doing, because, seriously, I don’t possess the capacity to be eloquent at the moment.

In the past seven days I have:

Found out I needed biopsy.

Panicked.

Found out I was moving like, SOON.

Had biopsy.

Fretted for hours and CRIED. Obviously.

Did an endless amount of shopping for things like lotion, shampoo, various toiletries (who KNOWS what will be available there. Seriously.)

Got vehicles detailed for maximum buyback quotes (or so we thought.)

Got more vaccinations.

Avoided packing.

Spent a Wednesday evening decompressing and drinking wine with a new friend I’m only sorry I didn’t meet sooner.

Got a vehicle quote and was disappointed.

Finally started packing.

Apparently had attitude about it.

Got another vehicle quote and was even more disappointed. (My car wasn’t paid off and the loan, as it turns out, was upside down. Wah wah wahhhhhh.)

Actually got kind of serious about packing.

Had the movers show up and REALLY had to get serious about packing.

Ate some [old, apparently] cottage cheese out of the fridge in an effort to not be wasteful.

Stuffed my suitcases so full Mr. Engineer scolded me and said he’d be repacking them later.

Cancelled all sorts of things (car insurance, cable…you name it. Tell ‘em you’re leaving the country and they don’t give you one bit of grief, btw.)

Watched this gorgeous apartment go from home, to boxes, to empty.

Turned in the keys and became homeless.

Called a Marriott home for a few days.

Had my suitcases repacked😉

Sold cars.

Got this lovely little gift in the mail (just in time!) from Megan.

Suddenly was left with only one sad little key on my keychain.

Got more vaccinations.

Found out biopsy was negative (!!!)

Got food poisoning. (see above re: eating cottage cheese.)

Said goodbyes.

Said more goodbyes.

Ate this lovely little breakfast.

Got picked up in a Town Car. (I’m SO Mr. Big)

Am flying first class (!!!) [company provided, people. I’m not actually that fancy.]

And I guess that brings me to here? Like I said, BLUR. It still hasn’t set in that I’m moving—it just feels like a really long trip. From here we (Mr. Engineer and myself) head to Brisbane where we’ll chill for a couple days to get our Papua New Guinea viasas applied to our passports. Once that’s done, we catch the 3-hour flight to Port Moresby, our new home.

I’m caught somewhere between being so excited I could scream and wanting to run in a corner and cry because I’m a little terrified. I mean, moving SEVEN THOUSAND MILES AWAY would be scary in its own rite, but to a third-world country? I’m not having doubts, but I’ve got a healthy amount of fear for the situation.

Oh and between biopsy healing and all this madness, I barely ran this past week. Darn life.

Let’s stay in touch, okay? Miss you all, already.

15 Responses to “Blur”

1. 1 geminigirl64 March 15, 2011 at 3:44 am

So I packed up and moved to Israel 10 months ago from New York. It’s quite the experience. I dont know if I’ll stay here forever- probably not, but you need to look at it like a chapter in your life! enjoy!! cant wait to hear why you moved!!

• 2 Yanis November 12, 2013 at 9:17 am

I merely lotecad your web site and in accession capital to say that I get into truth liked account your blog post articles. Nice one for fantastic information I’m searching for these details for my objective. Thank you for speaking about great infos. Your blog is so competent.

2. 3 Jeff March 15, 2011 at 5:39 am

I was just thinking that just over a year ago we were road tripping to St. Cloud for the Earth Day Run…good times!

If you are planning on writing a book in the future, you have a great start.

I am glad everything is ok with your health.

Have an awesome adventure, be positive, and remember, when the going gets tough, only a complete badass could finish an entire marathon while throwing up.

Take care, I look forward to hearing about the next page in your exciting future.

Jeff

3. 4 Ariana March 15, 2011 at 9:00 am

Holy Moly girly!!!!!
    I wish you the safest of travels on your new adventure. You are living life to the fullest and I am sure you will have no regrets about doing this. I am so happy and excited for you! You will be documenting all of this on your blog right?
    Congrats, be safe, and enjoy every minute!
    ((Hugs))

4. 5 jeri March 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Don’t worry about me…. just shedding some tears over here. 😥 I’m glad that I still thought you were going to be able to hit Fargo when I said goodbye in January, or I would’ve been a WRECK at the airport. Uff da. Miss you muchos. Stay safe and love ya!!!!!!

5. 6 Katie March 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

wowza. so glad you are okay, so excited for your adventure, so wanting to hear the story!!!

6. 7 Heather C March 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Third-world Country living is definitely not something most people check off any lists (or have on them?) during their 20s!! This is one crazy-awesome (but mostly the latter, hopefully) adventure for you two🙂 And I’m very anxious to hear that story…

• 8 Ganesh November 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

This is kinda away issue even so require some diecrtion from a well established blog. Your site offered all of us valuable details to be effective on. You have done any excellent career! I had been studying a number of your site content on this website and i also consider this site is absolutely informative.

7. 9 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy March 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Holy moly! This sounds craaazy! I can’t wait to hear the story behind it all. Flying first class international, that’s a nice hook up you’ve got. Can’t wait to hear about the gig.

My swim last night was surprisingly positive. Some just go crappy and I feel like shiz, but this one was one of those mood boosting, feel strong kind of swims. I’m hoping to fit in a brick workout this weekend.

• 10 Avinash January 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Brian, Jamie and Fox, This is all great news! Each day will bring new challenges and it seems that Fox has his game face on. We will coniunte to thank God for favors granted and keep you in our thoughts and prayers as you move forward. BTW we recieved your Christmas greeting in yesterdays mail post marked on 12/30/10. Now how bizzare is that? It is a beautiful picture. Regards and prayers, Jim, Patty, Sam and Matthew.

• 11 Vishal November 12, 2013 at 8:11 am

It’s basic, however eifncfeit. You could might write up coming posts talking about this short article. I have to continue reading problems over it! I love looking at your site and appear toward all your posts! Let me make sure to book mark your website.

• 12 Tetsurou January 27, 2013 at 5:20 am

Patricia,I was a premie and I nelray died right after my parents brought me home. They found me not breathing. I was allowd to eat only candy when I was a toddler and I was given alchohol (sometimes too much) in place of medication. My dad didn’t believe in going to the doctor unless we were nelray dead. I develped Scarlet Fever and was very sick before I was finally taken to the emergency room. It took a year for me to recover and I had to walk again. I didn’t have a very good start health-wise. I think I also knew that being sick was a way to get my mom to pay attention to me. I have a hard time understanding where the line is between the emotional causes of my poor health and the physical reasons. I do believe that the way I was treated contributed to my health problems. The hepatitis was a direct result of my painful childhood.It is interesting that my healing has been on both the physical and emotional levels at once even though, I know the hepatitis was erradicated through chemical treatment. I attribute it to God. It stinks being sick but God is good and we never know what the future may hold and today is no indicator of tomorrow.It makes me sad that you have suffered so much also, Patricia. I also know that it is suffering that enlarges our copacity for compassion. I see that compassion in you. You have risen from your pain to support others. I am blessed by that.Pam

• 13 Tatyane November 12, 2013 at 7:53 am

There are two specialty ofcefis I would like to work in. My interest are in the nervous system and the endocrine system.In the 12 years I have been with my boyfriend, he has lost two sisters and a brother to different forms of lupus. He also lost his mother to the disease before 20 years before I met him. I feel working with an endocrinologist or neurologist I will be able to learn more on how these system works.The proctologist office would be at the bottom of the list. After experiencing a lower GI to rule out problems in my stomach. I refuse to go through that again.

8. 14 Elda January 26, 2013 at 12:35 am

My son is now 16, he was diagnosed at 11 with Diabetes and 13 with Coeliac, and Jenny you are right it isnt easy and it is great to be able to speak to other prntaes who are going through the same thing, I wish there was something like this when he was first diagnosed, you kind of feel alone and no one else understands what you go through on a daily basis xx

• 15 Santiago November 12, 2013 at 6:38 am

I couldn’t agree more about gairetircs. I miss sitting with some of the elderly individuals I used to help and they would tell me stories for hours about the things that they witness when they were younger, and the lives that they lived up to the point that they needed care. I have always felt that the elderly know how to live their lives better than anyone, and they for sure never take it for granted! Sometimes the people taking care of them are not good people though, and it always breaks my heart to see someone talking badly to an elderly man or woman.I like how you made a switch from little tiny babies that have no real experience with life, to elderly men and women who have lived life to its fullest and still have more life to share with others. Such opposites!