On Holiday

So you know how I ran 30 miles by Thursday last week? Well that’s where the ‘ol mileage count stayed.

After purposefully taking Friday off and traveling all day Saturday, I woke up at about 5 a.m. on Sunday with a fever of 102 degrees feeling like absolute hell. I woke Mr. Engineer up to give me a malaria test (it requires a finger poke for the blood that I seriously just CAN’T DO myself…I know I’m a wimp) that I thankfully aced, but still. Felt like crap. A whole lot of medication/time/broken fever later and I could function again, but OMG SICK ON VACATION ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

malaria test: negative!

I will defeat you, sickness! RAWR!

When we got in Saturday night we made it just in time to check in to our hotel, change, and dash off to the Opera House to see this:

Incredible.

Let’s see…I’m getting out of order here…um, so far there’s been lots of exploring, good food, taking medication every 4-6 hours, and finally this (Monday) morning when I felt up to it, a RUN. OUTSIDE.

such a dorky tourist.

and there's another one.

We’ve also been doing our part to make sure all the sea creatures don’t go uneaten.

mussels!

and because we've very fancy, caviar!

(Never mind that we spent a minute or two contemplating just exactly how we were supposed to eat it before we worked up the nerve to try it).

great wine and a lovely view.

I had the oysters (btw, 6 is enough. 12 is too many...my eyes were bigger than my stomach).

some massive bowl of seafood goodness that Mr. Engineer had no problems making disappear.

See how there’s already food eaten in most of these photos…I’d never make it as a food blogger.

the people doing all the eating.

bathroom self portrait. natch.

walking around the harbor. the weather is amazing.

Well that’s enough photo onslaught for now. I’ve gotta go get my workout in and then do some shopping…and then tonight at sunset, we’re doing this. (I’m incredibly afraid of heights). (Eeeeek!)

Happy running!

7 Responses to “On Holiday”

1. 1 meganmnelson October 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Hope your sickness leaves quickly and you can get on to more of your fun adventures!! And eating-duh. Love the self-portrait of course🙂

2. 2 jeri October 17, 2011 at 6:17 pm

your hair is getting so freakin’ long. I can’t wait to seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you. hope the rest of your vacay is great and sickness free.

3. 3 Susan - Nurse on the Run October 18, 2011 at 7:24 am

I’m a nurse and sometimes have trouble pricking my own finger if for some reason I freak out and think I have low blood sugar…so don’t worry, you’re not the only one. Glad to see you’re feeling a little better with some medicine…or at least, I assume you are since I can’t imagine stomaching oysters when feeling not so fabulous. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

• 4 Kelvin January 27, 2013 at 5:56 am

Every woman is different, I only had mroinng sickness my 6th. 7th and 8th week, and then it went away. My sister in-law has had mroinng sickness her entire pregnancy, from the moment she found out, which i think was about 4 weeks.

• 5 Ildiko November 10, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Try to remember why you left in the first place. Are you at sohcol? Jail? Moved away?If you chose to move-then be happy that you had courage to move-and go out and meet new people.If you didn’t choose this move, then call your old friends or e-mail them andtalk about the fun you had, and how great it is to keep in touch. Either way, go out and meet new people, and buy a camera and take pictures of your new home. Stuff you can’t see anywhere else, like a cool old building or a broken tree that is new to you.Go to the library and read about the history of your new home town. Some fun stuff will come out. Go see Find the gym. Work out. Help with depression and anxiety.

• 6 Bosijok November 12, 2013 at 6:51 am

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don’t think 9/11 will be repeetad. Plane hijackings will never be the same again. Passengers from now on will always assume the worst and act accordingly (as they already have with both the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber). Everyone, including the architects and structural engineers, expects this building to be attacked eventually. That anticipation is designed into this building and into most prominent buildings since. Minoru Yamasaki and his engineers planning the old Twin Towers in the mid 1960s did not anticipate that they would ever be attacked, and could not have anticipated such a threat back during the Cold War and in the midst of the Vietnam War. That the towers could not and did not stand after being struck by two large hijacked planes full of fuel traveling at 500 mph is not the fault of the architect.Let’s hope that the many fail safes in this building and in other new buildings are never so tested.

4. 7 Oduy November 12, 2013 at 8:54 am

Setting up an aquarium and fiillng it with saltwater fish can be an entertaining, relaxing and fulfilling hobby. Keeping your own slice of the ocean in your home and recreating that piece of the reef can provide hours of enjoyment for you and your family (kids love watching fish too). Saltwater reef fish are some of the most beautiful animals in the world, often displaying exotic colors, beautiful flowing fins and interesting, sometimes down-right quirky behavior. If this is the first time you are considering setting up a tank to keep saltwater tank consider reading up on it Yes it is more expensive but it is no harder then a freshwater tank. It depends on you ability to maintain your system. I have been in this hobby for a long time and help people all over the world. Email me if you need more answers.