Nothing great, but something.

I junked Saturday’s long run because I heard from my boss (he’s on leave back in Houston right now) that he might not be ready for the half marathon FACE OFF in February (Insert boooooo here. And frustration. And aggravation. And failure to elaborate further because I don’t want to get dooced.)

Instead, I jumped on the treadmill and decided to run 800s. I had no idea what I could do and finished knowing I could have done better (no puke threshold encountered! win!) Here’s what happened:

3:40.3
3:34.2
3:34.8
3:35.7
3:41.4
3:28.5
I did them Yasso-style, with recovery (approximately) equivalent to run time–I kept it at 3:35. So there’s still something there, I hope. It’s pretty weak, I’ll admit. But someday when my running shoes get to hit pavement again, hopefully it’s worthwhile.
Right now, I’m just bummed. There’s no racing in sight. No opportunity to get in meaningful training (I KNOW there are people out there who run bananas miles on a treadmill and then run killer marathons…to those people I say, you have a LOT of natural talent. Promise. You do.) I miss that feeling of willing my Garmin to find the signal early in the morning so I can stop freezing…so my legs can move and I can be warm…seeing a mile beep across the watch and knowing warm-up time is over and it’s time to kick it up a notch.
It occurs to me so much of my frustration with living here deals with how it’s impacted my running; something I’m mediocre at (at best) and yet, it meant the world to me. It still means the world to me.
I haven’t found a way to deal with this healthily yet. And I don’t know if I will.
(And some photos because my business trip to Brisbane has been postponed and therefore fast Internet is, well, far far away. This? Took forever. Hope you enjoy.)

with my (not so) baby sisters over Christmas.

I freaking love this girl.

And I’ve now spent 27 minutes waiting for these two photos two upload. That’s my limit for tonight…guess I still don’t have any patience.

Have you been here before? Stuck in some void of training neverland? Misery loves company, you know.

17 Responses to “Nothing great, but something.”

1. 1 Elizabeth Nettleton January 30, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’m sorry you’re having a hard time now with the running, but since misery does love company, I’ll give you some. I just got into trying to do distance running about a year and a half ago. Within 6 months of starting, I found out I needed foot surgery. I bounced back and did a couple more halves….and went back to the foot doctor last week. I don’t think I’m going to be able to run, at least not like I want to, ever again. My skeletal structure is conspiring against me, and this is the end. I’m not a good runner, and realistically, I always struggled to be over the 40% line in finishing. Still, I loved it, and now it’s gone. BUT there’s always something else to do. That’s what I’m telling myself now anyway. Chin up.

• 2 purpleshoe runs February 27, 2012 at 5:58 am

Sorry to hear that, Liz. Guess I should shut the hell up about being bored with running on a treadmill, huh? Are you by chance a badass swimmer?? Perhaps triathlons could be your deal : )

• 3 Mike January 25, 2013 at 7:17 am

My first manual tlmrdeial, and a decent product. Does take some time to get use to. Don’t buy this if you expect to use this for running. Given that the tlmrdeial needs to be at a small incline so your motion pushes the belt down and around, runnning is extremely difficult. Works well if you plan to use for fast walking in your home.

• 4 Samar November 12, 2013 at 9:57 am

BEST YOUR LIFE Change Your Life NOW! Mastermind Group I was recommended this web site by my cosuin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks! your article about BEST YOUR LIFE Change Your Life NOW! Mastermind GroupBest Regards Veronica

• 5 Dheekshitha January 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Posted on There’s a scene in the classic film Cool Hand Luke where Luke, pyeald by Paul Newman, gets into a fight with the biggest, baddest, dude in the work camp. He really doesn’t stand a chance, but there’s really no way out.He gets knocked down, hard, but picks himself back up. Then he gets knocked down again. And gets up again. And again. And again. Before long, everyone in the gathered crowd is yelling for him to just stay down, but he keeps getting back up.He won that fight, not by beating the other guy, but by winning over the crowd and by not giving up.I used a variation of this tactic once upon a time. Some dude tried to pick a fight with me by telling me I danced like an idiot. Well, he was right. I looked ridiculous out there on the dance floor. This wasn’t news to me. So I agreed with him. He kept trying to insult me along the same lines, but, since I wasn’t really offended by his observation at all, I kept agreeing with him.Needless to say, he got very frustrated and the gathered crowd quickly got bored. He just walked away.And I went back to dancing like a fool.

• 6 Kapal November 12, 2013 at 5:45 am

I needed to copmose you one very small remark to be able to say thanks a lot again on the wonderful tricks you’ve featured in this case. It has been really strangely open-handed of people like you to make unhampered just what numerous people would’ve supplied as an electronic book to get some dough for themselves, most importantly considering the fact that you might well have done it if you wanted. These inspiring ideas also acted to become a great way to understand that some people have similar fervor similar to my very own to learn a whole lot more with regard to this issue. I am sure there are lots of more enjoyable periods in the future for folks who discover your blog.

• 7 Katalina January 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Jo Posted on Well written. It’s hard to learn to shift from fear to concinteng to one’s own power. I still dip my toe in the fear part too frequently. I’m smiling over turning the tables. My mother actually used to do that. She shared that trick with me when I was in college. lol I think it gave her the power she needed because she could never figure out any other way.

• 8 Sima November 12, 2013 at 8:24 am

Surely imagine evnyithreg you explained. Ones most liked approval have also been with the web the most convenient factor to adopt directly into accout regarding. My partner and i tell a person, I undoubtedly find irked whilst individuals consider conditions many people obviously don’t realize with regards to. Anyone managed to strike your nail bed upon the superior as well as described away the whole lot with no need unwanted effect, other people can require a indication. Might be again to obtain additional. Thanks a lot!

2. 9 jeri January 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Jazz hands!

Love you.

3. 10 Ericka @ The Sweet Life February 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Just found your blog via twitter. I am totally intrigued that you live iin Papau New Guinea! what’s the story on that? Cool! Just started following you on Twitter. I’m @ErickaAndersen

• 11 purpleshoe runs February 27, 2012 at 5:59 am

Long story short: work. I’ll look you up on twitter!

• 12 Sera November 12, 2013 at 6:09 am

2d1I wanted to write you the bit of reamrk to finally thank you very much as before on your wonderful opinions you’ve discussed on this site. It has been pretty generous with you to offer extensively exactly what most people might have advertised for an e book to generate some money for themselves, most importantly given that you could have tried it if you desired. Those tips likewise served like a good way to realize that the rest have the identical zeal like my own to know a great deal more with regards to this issue. I am certain there are lots of more pleasant moments in the future for individuals that read carefully your blog.

• 13 Kanith January 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Because both are blood thinners as a side efefct and both can efefct the stomach, causing gastric bleeding and ulcers. BOTH these tablets are best taken WITH FOOD to avoid complications as much as possible.I wouldn\’t recommend taking aspirin and ibuprofen regularly but every now and then should be ok. As long as you have no bleeding, such as when you move your bowels and notice frank blood (new), dark blood or stomach pains.You should also ask your Doctor about this also as I don\’t know any of your medical history. For someone very healthy, it would not be a problem if not that often.

• 14 William November 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

BEST YOUR LIFE Change Your Life NOW! Mastermind Group I was suggested this blog by my coiusn. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re amazing! Thanks! your article about BEST YOUR LIFE Change Your Life NOW! Mastermind GroupBest Regards Shane

• 15 Christian January 27, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Gieon J Ikumu Posted on Iam from Papua New Guinea, 35 years old, have been a police cosmesmionid officer for 13 years to date and very much intersted in securing a scholarship. I had difficulties with school fee and was not able to complete my law degree before joining Police. I seek a bachelor’s degree and also intend to learn about your country and Asia in general. Policing has globalised and that would help me in my duty as a deputy director HR Training and Development officer. Please what is my prospect and how can I apply

• 16 Cyndy January 27, 2013 at 5:28 pm

saum othman Posted on aged 30 years With hnoour I would like to submit my letter on the above mentioned topic I am a Tanzanian young man.I have LLB Degree from Zanzibar University in Tanzania. I have been employed in Immigration Department. To serve a country more effectively after return from training I am looking for free international scholarship in masters of international relation so I request your program to consider my application.I look forward to hearing from you soon.Thank you

4. 17 Leonid November 12, 2013 at 9:21 am

I am writing to let you be aware of what a biecfienal encounter my friend’s child encountered using your webblog. She even learned too many things, which include what it is like to possess a wonderful coaching character to let folks clearly grasp selected hard to do subject matter. You truly exceeded my expected results. Thanks for supplying such informative, trustworthy, revealing and cool tips on this topic to Evelyn.