Not Hating, well, Everything

Even though I woke up this morning and rushed out the door at 6:50 hating the world (where is my watch? why is my hair so flat? THESE PANTS LOOK TERRIBLE ON ME WHY DID I DECIDE TO WEAR THEM?) I somehow am on the couch at 8 p.m….okay. Not…angry. I know that’s hardly happy sparkles and rainbows, but it’s progress over here in the rainy, dreary South Pacific.

A few things that I’m forcing myself to write down, that contributed to me being less, erm, rageful (shut up red squiggly line, that IS a word) today:

Noticing that every dumb wah wah wah blog post I throw out on the interwebs snags a comment from the lovely (overused word but it’s true here) Heather. I’ve never been lucky enough to meet her in person, though I read her blog religiously (and uh, never comment. Because I do my blog reading on my iPad via Google Reader at the office when I have spare moments…aka no live connection while I’m perusing.) She always has something nice to say. Something that makes me smile. Something that tells me we could totally be friends if we could just live on the same damn continent. Also? She’s a tremendously talented runner who works hard. I like that.

This is an old photo that I snapped at my desk, but it was the day I learned from bloggerville that Peanut Butter Cheerios were apparently a thing. (No access to normal groceries here, so, uhm, I’m kind of a martian on this front.) It makes me a little sad that this is all it takes to be exciting these days, but it’s still pretty funny (to me and possibly no one else.)

workplace chatter.

I went to the gym at lunch today (like usual) with no desire to run. At all. (Mostly usual.) And somehow I mind-gamed myself through six miles. I’m not going to pretend it was some killer workout (it wasn’t; it involved lots of hill here! speed up there! I’m getting treadmill ADD…) but I made myself do a thing I didn’t want to do. To get myself closer to a goal (being a better runner.) That’s not so bad.

I bought these online and in like 6-8 weeks, they’ll be here. No, I don’t puddle-jump much, but who cares?

I won't pretend I need these. Don't judge.

My boss brought me back gels and a pair of shoes from Houston after his latest stint there. There’s a sworn duty around here to be a courier of goods whenever you’re able.

fuel! and purple!

The shoes are the Mizuno Wave Enigma and they’re a little stiff for my liking, but I wear them for blah-de-dah runs where I’m not shooting for specific distances or paces. They’re not quite my cup of tea but they work (and help offset the miles I put on my true lovers, the Brooks Launch.)

Because uploading a photo is a time-consuming affair, my patience is now used up. But there you go, I said some things that weren’t totally negative. Baby steps.

7 Responses to “Not Hating, well, Everything”

1. 1 Heather C March 5, 2012 at 7:54 am

you didn’t hate anything this time! that’s a big jump from “everything”.

Thanks for the shout-out! Eventually we’ll live on the same continent again! And if we had known Peanut-butter cheerios would get you two back here so quickly, there could’ve been a movement made much earlier😉

Trader Joe’s probably has a slew of items that could convince you to hop on a plane – they’re sneaky-clever like that.

• 2 Evgenia January 27, 2013 at 6:28 am

What a great day we all had together fimnilg this crazy couple. Heather and Dash are definately a very friendly and outgoing pair; which is always a bonus when fimnilg. Mike you did an absolute amazing job with this video and Rob great pictures. The mix of colour and action in this video really created a fantastic production.

2. 3 Kris Anderson March 5, 2012 at 8:38 am

I still love you Jenn! You brighten my day! This 64 year old is off to run, and if you could see me, you would feel like you were floating out there! 🙂

• 4 Jeremy November 12, 2013 at 5:56 am

Hello http://www.prudentinvestor.com Team! Im new to this web page and I wanted to say Hi. This can be a great web-site and im glad I jonied. New to this blog thanks for the welcome. I just came to this wonderful blog and wanted to introduce myself to everyone. This really is such an excellent internet site.

3. 5 katie March 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

ohhhh lovely lady. just read both of your last two posts, I’m sending you positive and uplifting thoughts (and those purple shoes don’t hurt, either, MAN i wish i could wear mizunos!) hugs.

4. 6 Asuka November 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Filtering the frenidly skiesSo maybe you’re tired of that one frenid that posts nothing but song lyrics. Maybe it’s the one who is constantly posting political rants. Or perhaps the one who apparently does nothing but play Facebook games all day. Whatever. The point is, you’re sick of it and you want to know what to do about it.Take controlFacebook offers some degree of control as to what you see in your feed from your frenids and page likes. First of all, there’s the blunt instruments obviously, you can unfrenid someone, but that’s a bit extreme and antisocial if they still post some things you want to hear about. The other blunt instrument would be the Hide option, as seen here:Why anyone would want to hide our sister site is beyond me, but this hides all updates from this frenid or page from showing up in your feed, but you can still see what they have posted by going to their page. A bit imprecise, but simple and it works. Of course, you can undo this at any time.For a bit more control, go to the frenid or page in question’s profile page, hover your mouse over the button that says Friends or Subscribed, and click Settings. When you’ve done that, you will see a menu that will allow you to pick what kind of updates you wish to see from this frenid uncheck the ones you don’t want to see.Unfortunately, while this offers you control over what type of update you get from frenids, it doesn’t let you filter status updates by content whether it’s about what they had for dinner last night, or that [insert politician here] is the worst thing since the bubonic plague. Fortunately, there’s an option for that.Baby, pleaseBabies and kids are an ever-present topic on Facebook, and it seems there are some people out there that are just tired of hearing about the 347th cute thing Junior did this morning. Well, some computer savvy people who feel that way created the . Install the extension which works with both Chrome and Firefox and add a couple keywords to help it out, and it will happily replace all baby picture and posts with photos of cats (or whatever you want, though cats are the default).The awesome thing about unbaby.me is that since it works on a keyword basis, you can add any keywords you want to its filter list politics, food, type stories, whatever. While not a Facebook-supported filter, it might be worth a shot at blocking some junk without having to block the person.Mister FixerIn addition to unbaby.me, is another keyword-based filtering system, among other features for Facebook. Social Fixer works on Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera 11+, and Grease Monkey a few more choices than unbaby.me offers. Its keyword filtering also offers a bit more flexibility and control but it won’t replace the political posts with pictures of cats. Well, for some of you that’s probably okay too.GD Star Ratingloading…

5. 7 Sue November 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Demetri, Lets start with a food log. give us three to four days of a couple of work days and a day off.Lets see what and how much your eaitng before adding any supplements.Mark